Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Disney Is Missing The Boat On Kouzzina Replacement



Earlier this year, I was really saddened to hear we would be losing one of my favorite restaurants, Kouzzina. Kouzzina is a collaboration between celebrity chef Cat Cora, and Disney. It pays homage to Cora's Greek heritage and has lots of Mediterranean influences on it's menu. 


While I am a big food nerd and chef groupie, I am also a purist and tend to favor the less famous chef's verses the celebrity ones, so I wasn't really in a rush to try Kouzzina out when it first opened. But after one breakfast meeting there, I was a fan. The purity was there with just enough appealing dishes for the masses; a hard balance to achieve. My favorite meal there is breakfast. Great takes on old favorites, and FANTASTIC new dishes, like turkey & sweet potato hash, with arugula and 2 eggs how ever you like them. Poached-always go for poached with this dish!

 


To add insult to the injury of the announcement of Kouzzina's closure-the announcement of it's replacement was the second punch for me. Trattoria al Forno. Another Italian restaurant. Don't get me wrong-I LOVE Italian food. From the well known comfort Southern Italian style dishes like lasagna and chicken parmigiana, to less sauced and seafood dishes of the North-who doesn't love Italian food? But I can get good Italian food anywhere-here at home, and at MANY of the restaurants in Walt Disney World that are inspired or specialize in Italian cuisine. I really feel Disney dropped the ball on this one, and got a little lazy. Which the potential to put any kind of cuisine in that piece of Boardwalk real estate-why go with something they pretty much have covered with Via Napoli, Tutto Italia, Tutto Gusto wine bar, Mama Melrose's, Citricos, Tony's Town Square, Mangino's, Il Mulino, and even though I hate to mention it-Portobello's? I think a Brazilian churrascria (steakhouse), a Spanish influenced restaurant serving tapas and paella, or even a clam house; traditional New England Crab/Lobster would have been a better and more interesting replacement. Can you imagine being able to get good, fresh raw bar on the boardwalk? Or some Maryland crabs? 


I realize that in going with a comfortable stand by, Disney is choosing the path of least resistance, but really think Disney missed an opportunity here to have a little fun and add another gem to the Boardwalk area dining. Don't get me wrong-I am fully confident Disney will do a fabulous job with this concept, and the food will be fantastic, I just wish they had taken another chance on something a little more unique in that space.


~Lisa

*********************************************************************************



**Besides being the owner and travel professional of Snapshot Getaways, Lisa is an avid traveler, food nerd, blogger & podcaster. Her answer to pretty much everything is food or travel, and is happiest when the solution includes both. You can contact her at Lisa@ SnapshotGetaways.com, to talk food, travel, Disney-whatever. She also can be found posting food pics and reviews at Disney Happy Food Dance on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment