Friday, November 14, 2014

4 Moms, 6 Boys, A Girl and Big Hero 6



As many of us know Disney's Big Hero 6 was just released. In its opening weekend at the box office it took the top spot and grossed $56.2 million in one weekend. Do you have a little one that has been asking to go and you are not sure? Four Disney Devoted moms took our little ones out to see it during opening weekend and we are giving you our thoughts based on what families thought.  Thanks to Dulcie's daughter, Erinlee for a 10 year old's review of the movie!


My name is Amanda...

 I am a mom of two boys who are 6 and 10. My boys were super excited to see Big Hero 6, so much so that I got them to clean their rooms. (Bonus points for that Disney).  My boys enjoyed most of the movie with lots of laughs and mom did you see that. The beginning seemed a little less kid friendly for me with robot fighting and gambling. It seemed slow in the beginning but gets better. Once it gets going it is amazing. The storyline and the animation both wrap you up like a hug from Baymax and you forget you are in a theater watching a movie. There are two distinct parts in the movies that caused tears for not only my boys but also for this mama. My oldest in particular liked the "tech" parts of the movie. They talk about robots and chemistry. He also liked how you can be a "superhero" without having superpowers but just by being you. Disney made me fall in love with my first villain. He has many alias such as:Yokai, Mr. Kabuki, Mask Man. He is based from Lord Deathstrike from the original Big Hero 6 comic books. The animation details for this villain was amazing and he reminds me of a super villain that would be in a comic book. I do like saying Wasabi's name just to annoy my boys now. All in all it was a great movie that is an emotional ride.
Stay until the very end. I know sitting through the credits is boring but it is a must do.
   (fist bump blaaalllahhh)



My name is Maria...

 I took my two sons, 7 and 3 to see Big Hero 6 this weekend.  I even brought my big kid, aka my husband.  I was in no big rush to see this movie, all I could think of was the marshmallow guy in Ghostbusters.  But thanks to endless commercials on Disney Jr., my boys were all for it.  I was glad to see a new "boy-centric" movie from Disney.  While we all loved Frozen, we were a "teeny-tiny" bit done with Anna and Elsa.  

The movie does contain some scary themes, including death.  Other than being a little startled, the boys did fine with the loud scenes.  Also scary for us grown-ups is talk of "teenage hormones".   Like most children's movies, there is an underlying adult humor to keep us from going stir crazy the first 10 times we watch.  My boys understand about feelings, so for them it didn't mean anything.  If they were older it might have been more real, but they would have had more understanding.  I don't think it went beyond the realm of appropriate.  

The "end game" of the movie is to bring home the point that everyone has a special gift.  Every kid, no matter how different can make a difference.  Brains over brawn and crushing some stereotypes applies to most of the Big Hero 6.  A family doesn't have to be blood related, that relying on your friends and a big marshmallow guy can save the day.  I won't reveal too much, but suffice to say we all loved it.  Like any Disney movie it was an emotional roller-coaster and both my 7 year old and I were crying at points.  Definitely give it a chance and enjoy!



My name is Michelle...

    Big Hero 6 has been a hot topic in my household for some time.  I have two boys, ages 5 and 3. The previews, the toys and the cuddly white balloon guy certainly was enough to pique my little one's interests.  To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to the film.  I am not a super hero fan and the previews lead me to believe this was an average super hero film.  It is not.  The humor and theme immediately engaged me and I was soon in love with Hiro and Baymax.  Admittedly, as a Disney fanatic, I am not a hard "sell."   

     On the flip side, my 5  year old who is a member of the ASD (Austim Specturm Disorder) club or as we call it, the Awesomely Sensitive Dudes club,  was a little rattled by the topic of Death being presented to him.  With a little cuddle and explanation, we moved on from that hiccup.  Unfortunately, the intensity of the transformation of one of the characters in the film was too much for his little sensitive soul.  As many Moms of an autistic child know, figuring out the subtleties of emotional changes can be very difficult.  Also, as an ASDer my 5 year old is very literal.  Bad is bad and good is good; there is no middle ground.  Fear took over and we had to leave the movie.

     If you have any children with special sensitivity needs, you may want to prepare them for some of the themes and changes in the film.  It is difficult to find a lot of information about a movie before it officially opens so we probably should have waited a few weeks. Then we could have done our research and discussed the film more thoroughly prior to heading to the theater.  We used this unfortunate reaction to talk about "feelings"  and how people's attitudes can change.  And this doesn't mean they are "bad" or "evil." In our family, everyday is a new learning experience for us all!

     If you would like more specific information regarding the film in order to prepare your sensitive child, feel free to message me.  I was purposefully avoiding spoilers.  

My name is Dulcie...

I took my 10 yr old Princess to Big Hero 6 opening night. This has been on our MUST WATCH
list since we first saw the teasers as DHS forever ago. Baymax stole my heart from the first teaser
trailer we saw. From the first time we heard Baymax say "Hairy Baby" that was our favorite
quote from the movie hands down!

I will admit I cried more than once during the movie while consoling my daughter who cried her share too. But it's not a Disney movie if you don't shed a tear or two. At least the theatre was dark so nobody knew where the sobs were coming from.

It was a little "dark" in spots and if you have a younger child that gets frightened easily or doesn't like loud noises you might want to skip it at the theatre and get it on DVD to turn the volume down or skip a scene without them getting to frightened. There were a few things that made the adults laugh that the kids didn't quite catch and flew right over my 10 yr olds head too. I always love a good movie that makes me emotionally connected with the characters and even if they aren't real I always feel like I know them just by their story. This one was no different.

The one complaint I have is the omission of a few scenes that were in the trailers for the movie.That happens in about all of the movies but I hope they are in the outtakes when it's released on Bluray and DVD.

Be sure to look for Mochi aka"Hairy Baby" (the cat) dressed at Stitch...and do NOT leave as soon as the credits start rolling.You will miss a very important scene that may or may not lead you to believe they may have plans for a Big Hero 6 2 ... or just tying Marvel in with Disney kinda way!

*FIST BUMP* BALALALALA

My name is Erinlee...

I want to share a 10 year olds perspective on Big Hero 6.  I thought that it was a VERY FUNNY movie but there were some very sad parts too. I do not want to spoil it but be sure to take some tissues with you.
HoneyLemon and Baymax were my 2 favorite characters in this movie.I like HoneyLemon because she was a girl and loves science just like me. She has a very cool purse that is her special weapon against the villain in the movie. I love Baymax because he was very caring and wanted to take care of Hiro.
This movie is like a Superhero movie but Disney style.There is something for everyone from kids to parents and even grandparents. Be sure to stay through the credits to see a surprise scene and you won't be sorry that you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment